Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Diabetic No Bake Spiced Orange Pumpkin Cheesecake

Well, let's stop pretending that Thanksgiving isn't just around the corner and I have to plan on feeding goodies to people who I happen to love enough to not let them roll into a diabetic coma. So...today we broke down and tried a new recipe from Diabetic Living. Cussing Granny has been extra good with her food...as always, and I felt that it was cool of me (I know...all diabetics should have their own chef right?) to make her a cheesecake. My sister, Auntie Em is type one diabetic. We try to keep it friendly for everyone around here. My seven year old son, Face was particularly anxious to make this dessert, as he is exceptionally fond of pumpkin pie...and cheesecake. He's also lucky enough to have me as a mom...and yes...he knows it. Bless his heart.
This is my slight adaptation from a cheesecake that was originally a "swirl" cheesecake. I wanted a simpler version that would still be amazing.
No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
* adapted from Diabetic Living

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used half graham crackers half minced pecans)
2T butter, melted
1 8 oz pkg low fat cream cheese, softened
2 8 oz pkg fat free cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup splenda spoonable (or other sweetener equal to 1/2 cup regular sugar, I use stevia)
1/2 cup nonfat milk
2 tsp vanilla (1 tsp vanilla bean paste)
1/2 tsp orange zest (fresh)
1 can pumpkin (15 ounce) (or 2 cups fresh mashed sweet potato)
1 tsp pumpkin spice (I use my Wise Woman of The East Spice Blend )
1 envelope unflavored gelatine
1/4 cup orange juice

Directions:
In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.

For crust: In a medium bowl, stir together crushed graham crackers and melted butter until crackers are moistened. Press mixture onto bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan. Cover and chill while preparing filling.



For filling: combine the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sweetener, milk, the vanilla bean paste, orange peel, pumpkin and pie spice until all are smooth.

This works pretty well by hand if the cream cheese is really soft. If not...use a mixer. Face was more than happy to do this job. Isn't he angelic with a bowl of cheesecake? Aren't most people?

Now...add the orange juice gelatine mixture and stir well.
Pour pumpkin mixture over chilled crust in pan.
Cover and chill overnight before serving. To serve, using a small sharp knife, loosen cheesecake from side of spring form pan; remove side of pan. Cut into wedges. Makes 12 servings.


Now, we served it with a little drizzle of homemade red fig jam. You can do whatever you want for a topping...but I think sugar free chocolate sauce would be absolutely divine.

There you go. A nice diabetic diversion that won't end in a sugar coma. Smoooches!

Diabetic Living *Test Kitchen Tip: If using a sugar substitute, we recommend Splenda® Granular, Equal® Spoonful or packets, or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Be sure to use package directions to determine product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.
Nutrition Facts per serving with sugar substitute: 149 cal., 7 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 23 mg chol., 331 mg sodium, 12 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 9 g pro.Exchanges: 1 other carbo., 1.5 fatCarb choices: 1

Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare as directed. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What parameters do you use when you call it 'diabetic'? Now that Merisa is type 1 diabetic, we are starting to really look at new alternatives to what we eat--little things that we can do to improve the health of everyone in the family, not just fake our way around the issues of diabetes. (if that makes any sense)

Chef Tess said...

Verena, I got this actual recipe from a diabetic source, and listed the nutritional information from the national diabetic association. You will need to find out what the actual nutritional needs are for your daughter, but usually it has no added sugar and lower carbohydrate count than other recipes. I also read extensively on the glycemic index. On that I read that helped a lot was called "The
Glucose Revolution". It's pretty scientific, but I think you can handle it. Hopefully that helps.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks!

A in NL said...

This looks good, Tess. I love pumpkin and I'm currently oven-less so this will make a great dessert for when I have guests over later this week.

I was wondering how much stevia you use. I'll probably end up using a mix of stevia and agave (since I find stevia by itself has a medicinal taste) but wouldn't mind some guidelines.

Verena, I think that you're off to a good start. Making dietary changes which are healthy overall is important. It's also important with sticking with a new diet to not feel deprived. I found that to be the case with my diet, which is not diabetic but involves avoiding refined sugars. I really recommend stevia and agave as sweeteners.

Another suggestion I have is to look at Elana Amsterdam's blog. It's about gluten-free cooking, but she uses a lot of almond flour, which is more of a protein than a carb and thus better for someone like Merisa. (Elana also uses agave as a sweetener.) For instance, I bet this cheesecake would be great with gingerbread men as the base, instead of graham crackers. (Pumpkin and gingerbread--what's not to like?)

Chef Tess said...

Gingerbread as the base would be amazing! I love that idea. I love the pecans, it adds such a nice flavor. I'm certain I have some chocolate sugar free oatmeal cookies that would also be awesome. When I use the stevia I have found it depends on the brand. I love xylitol as well, it doesn't bake out and is natural. Agave is good, maple syrup (100% natural--is also good for diabetics). Just keep in mind, that the sugar isn't the main concern here, it is the impact of the carbohydrates. Some effect blood sugar levels different than others. Just find what works for you little one and go with it. We've found great success with whole grains(kept whole...not milled), legumes, and cutting out potatoes. Those are almost worse than sugar for the impact they have on blood sugar (in my experience). Keep a good variety and remember...it's all a process. Love you!

mlebagley said...

K, I made this last night for Thanksgiving dessert and am hoping it turns out. Question though - The cream cheese would not blend up smooth. I was using a hand blender and blended and blended and still there were little lumpies. If I had brought the cream cheese to room temperature would it have gone smooth? Or is that just the nature of the fat free cream cheese? Kindly advise.

Chef Tess said...

Hmm Em, mine was pretty smooth. I wonder why yours was lumpy. It was room temp? It is supposed to be softened.